Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Always, Literature (with a comma!)



Dear Reader, Friend, (or more realistically) classmates, and teacher,
           
Whoever you may be, I pray that your love for books runs as deep as my own; and I pray that this collective love we share for books unites us in the bonds of friendship. If you are not a lover of books, as my fellow companions and I may be, I have a great hope that your seedling interest will sprout and blossom as you continue to follow this blog. If I fail to ignite a passion for various writings in you, I beg that you do not give up here. I am but a college student who has ulterior motives- (though these motives do not invalidate my devotion to literature) a graduation requirement to pass English 3 is the reason I write. I am not an eloquent writer, nor do I have a great deal of profound thoughts; no, I am merely a student who is not even majoring in English! So here we go. Assignment number one: what inspired your choice for the title of your blog?
            Always, Literature (with a comma that this website would not allow me to add in the title).  I chose this title due to the ardent belief I have that literature will always have something to teach people in the present. When these books were written, where they were written, who wrote them, fiction, non-fiction, biographical, you name it- all are irrelevant when deciding if a book teaches us something. Oh yes, I know what you’re thinking. “What does a book about Abraham Lincoln have to teach me?” you say. “I’m never going to be president! We don’t even have slaves anymore?” You’re right. But, it might contain a lesson about making decisions, peer pressure, and leadership. This way of analysis applies to all books. The significance might not always be spelled out, you might have to search for it and do some digging but I promise you it is there. While I don’t believe the challenges stated above hold any power over whether a book teaches us something; I do believes those questions help us better understand the perspective of the author, and what ideas he is targeting in the book. Literature may not be sincere, or thankful, or respectful, or be wishing you the best; but it is always. Though the appearance of books may change to ipads and kindles, the messages about people and life remain. So, until next time my dear reader

Always, Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment